Monday, January 3, 2011

Brazilian Dentistry


Last year at college was a stressful adventure. I began the fall semester soon after meeting my husband, and at winter break was faced with him possibly having to leave the states thanks to his boss failing to file the appropriate papers for his extension. All worked out in the end, but only after my husband (boyfriend at the time) had to go 500 miles away to work. Oh well, at least he was still within driving distance!

Anyway, the stress from everything being so unpredictable led me to sitting in front of my laptop blasting music, drinking cherry pepsi, and eating all sorts of candy and junk food for hours, which turned into months. When I arrived home for the summer I went to the dentist for a routine cleaning. I was not surprised one single bit when the dentist told me I had 3 cavities that needed to be filled. So, I immediately scheduled an appointment and was back in his office a couple weeks later.

The dentist and his assistant argued the whole time. They argued about how they were going to use their new tools, which methods were best, blah blah blah. I knew that was a terrible sign. The dentist was new and had replaced my old retired dentist. I had a feeling something was going to be wrong...

...as I assumed, something IS wrong. I can't eat anything sweet or chew gum on one side of my mouth. When I do, pain gets shot up through my mouth. How lovely. While home for Christmas I asked my dad what I should do about this problem. He pretty much had no advice so that's when my husband said, "Tuesday, don't pay to get your teeth fixed by another gringo. My friend in my town will do it for you!"

I obviously questioned him. Like, who is this friend? Is he any good? Has he done work on your teeth? Apparently it's one of his "best friends" and he is good..and yes, he's done all the work on my husband's teeth. I have yet to understand how this man is my husband's friend. Probably because he's his dentist and my husband thinks everybody he comes in contact with his friend.

After all this nonsense, I have a question. Has anybody seen a Brazilian dentist? Would you recommend me waiting a few months and having the work done in Brazil? Would it actually be cheaper than me having it done in the states? I'm seriously considering waiting until we are in Brazil to have them fixed. What an adventure that will be! I won't understand half of what the dentist is saying, but heck, if he gets the job done I don't mind!

1 comment:

  1. Hello there! I caught myself reading your blog yesterday and I've really enjoyed. Anyway, I read your post about your teeth problem and I might be even late to say it (not sure if you already are in Brazil) but I think is worth it to wait and visit a destist here in Brazil. I'm sure it will be cheaper and we have good doctors too. Even better if your husband knows someone like his friend.
    While living in US, a friend of mine had to go to a dentist. We looked for one not so expensive and able to do a good job. We weren't successful in our search. Then she decided to pay only for a small treatment to stop the pain to give her enough time until she could come back to Brazil.
    So, if you are not in pain and can wait just do it here!
    Take care,
    Elaine

    ReplyDelete